Monday, September 01, 2008

What is THAT!

Okay, let's do some housekeeping, shall we?

1. Jean, I don't know how much the pigs are going to cost, yet. I'll have a better idea once they are weighed in at the butcher. But, I didn't do a very good job of keeping track of my feed cost. I know, bad farmer, bad, bad, bad farmer. My guess is they will end up costing more than the average supermarket pork because I fed them clean grain. Meaning I chose a more expensive route to get my hogs to gain weight.  We chose feed with no antibiotics or hormones and it was not the cheapest solution, but I feel better about it.



2. I saw a little something on the hutch scarf when I was working in the office the other day.


What?
Is that a...
Good Lord.
Why?
Because I have boys.  You know what?  I left it there.

3. Dave Ramsey is ruining my life.  Or at least my family's wardrobe.  This summer I spent approximately $28 for both of my little's clothes and shoes.  When I was in Goodland this summer I went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of t-shirts for fifty-cents a piece and that is the only clothing purchase I made for them.  They both had jeans with holes in the knees so I cut them off for shorts and the rest of their clothes came from our own stock of hand-me-downs.  They've been wearing those gawd-awful crock-a-crap shoes from Wal-Phart and that's it.  I'm glad summer is coming to a close because they're looking a bit ragged.  It's difficult to find a shirt without a stain or hole in it and they are outgrowing their shorts.

4.  School starts tomorrow.  Whimper.  That means I have to force myself into the school room every ding dang day.  This is the first year that I am NOT excited to get back into school.  I just don't wanna. No.  My two older kids will be going to school full-time which leaves me to teach the 1st grader.  Whaaaa.  I know, it should be fun.  Why am I dreading it so much?  Maybe it's because I still have to keep up with all the stuff going on at school and sports and church and I'll have to take on more of the yard work and animal care without Seth and Ellen here to help (or boss around).  And I swear if one more person calls to ask me to teach or host or bring goodies or sign up for anything I'll start to cry.  Yes, wail in their ear.  I'll scream, "WHYEEEEEE?  WHYEEEEE do I make my life so difficult with all these stinkin' kids?  I never get a break!  It's all about them and never me!  This whole mothering gig is a sham!  And a scam!  Please.  Don't make me bake cookies.  Or teach another class full of little wiggly toddlers.  Or come up with ideas for field trips!  Because the only field trip I want to go on is to CRAZY TOWN where they will lock me up in a quiet sterile room!  A quiet.  Sterile.  Room.  By myself.  Quiet.  Clean.  Alone.  Yes, that would be heaven."  And I swear, even me having a melt down like this would cause the desperate nursery worker to say,
 "Well, maybe you could take a moment and prayerfully consider if you should volunteer just one Sunday a month.  It's just one Sunday, one blessed Sunday.  For a few hours.  Just pray about it and I'll call back in a couple days.  And I'll pray for you.  Seriously pray for you and your poor family that they will be able to cope with you.  But, really whatever you decide will be fine.  And determine your eternal fate.  But, we don't want to pressure you.  Really, whatever you say is fine....just fine."

5.  I have to go clean my house.  And get school stuff ready.  And volunteer a few hundred more times.  Goodbye summer.  Goodbye happiness.....forever.  Whimper.

24 comments:

Jennie said...

Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't home school my three (2nd grader and 2 kindergarteners)but then I drop them off at school and go home to a quiet house that stays clean for more than 5 minutes at a time and I think, I cannot do it. It would be miserable for me and them. I so admire women who can give that extra on top of everything else involved with being a "Professional Mom!"

Anonymous said...

Take a tip from your sister. It sounds like you need to go stare at the ceiling fan awhile.

Updated by Lila Huggins (grandmother) said...

Happy Labor Day April,
Have you thought about home schooling? I'm sure you have. Some (my two daughters and myself) have said it's Much Much easier.
That said, you and your sister make me laugh. I can't go a day without reading your blogs. So keep up the good work. OK?
There is no harder job on the planet than being a MOM.
Miss hLila in Atlanta

melissa said...

I'm feelin your pain!
I don't know why but I can't say no to anyone. My house is upside down the school room still has last years stuff in it and at the last minute I don't like the curriculum I picked out and have decided to wing it for awhile. I wish there was a disk clean-up for my brain.

MadHatter said...

Dave Ramsey is a booger. But we're 1 credit card down, and only 2 to go. But I still want to cuss him every now and then.

Unknown said...

They want you to PRAY about whether or not to be a nursery worker? That is the most passive aggressive load of crap I have ever heard.

Rechelle said...

Uh... that was me and not Calder.

Linda Stamps said...

What in the world is that bug thing? It made my skin crawl lol

April said...

Miss Lila,

Did you mean 'have I thought about NOT homeschooling?' Yes, everyday.

But, I do homeschool. Have been for 6 years now. Please, someone give me an award....please.

We are sending our two oldest to school fulltime this year. I'll be hsing my 1st grader.

Rechelle,
Calm down. There is that thing called exaggeration....I wasn't quoting anyone.

Sally-Ann said...

Hang in there. I solved the problem of school by spreading my kids out - one in college, one in high school and one that I will be doing a little home pre-school with. I am also a person that finds it difficult to say no, but, the older I get, the easier it is. Today we chose not to think about school, hurricanes (we live in Florida), or responsibilities. We went to Disney World
http://wombatsinthebelfry.blogspot.com

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Yep,This whole parenting trip is a juggling act!!
Always 10 things needing doing and they never are directly about us.
I would let my kids juggle knives if I thought it would give me 5 mins breathing space....
Of Course i'd tell them to watch the sharp end!! *wink*

Unknown said...

What da heck is that creepy bug? Oh good lord, it's awful! My son thinks its fake, but I know better than that. UGH!
Poor you, my kids start school tomorrow and so does my vacation.........YIPPEEEEE!

Anonymous said...

People! Mothers! Aunt!
Greetings! my name is SON(add booming voice and echo)! I have come from the planet GOOGOOHUMPUMFREESERDMOTHERFATHERBOOP(add booming voice and echo)! This is my message,(high pitched scream)RANDOM!

Emme said...

Just say NO to baking cookies! :)And seriously, as far as I know there ain't no "volunteer in your church nursery" commandment in the bible...ask your husband what he thinks you should do as far as school, volunteering, etc. I betcha he won't care if you bake cookies or work in the nursery, and the bible actually DOES say to listen to your husband! (not the ladies at church wanting you to do more stuff!)Take care of only what's on your own plate and don't let anyone else put their leftovers on yours. :)
And what on earth kind of bug is that? Freaky.

Jenni said...

Um, you are a better person than I am. 'Cause I want to punch nursery lady in the nose right now. I know it isn't very Christian of me, but it's just how I feel when someone suggests that I "prayerfully consider" whether or not the Lord wouldn't really rather I just do what they're asking me to do. Hello! The Lord didn't ask me to do it! Okay, maybe I shouldn't have that second cup of coffee.

abrah said...

Please answer all of us asking about that bug... I really, really, really hope they don't live where I am.

The Source said...

I don't volunteer in the Church nursery and I don't do Children's Church. Because I think God wants someone pleasant to take care of little children. Someone who actually likes other people's kids and has patience with them. And that's not me. I would rather be with the teenagers. They crack me up!

Mama Dawg said...

I love those shells. I used to do that to my mama, too. It's a kid thing.

Anonymous said...

By the power invested in me by .. well, myself ... I hereby award thee - Rechelle, the Country Doctor's Wife - the highest award for your noble sacrifice in thinking about you, no I mean others, for entertaining your readers - and, above all, for patiently homeschooling your youngsters and for making sure that life runs smoothly for many.

Arise, oh noble Lady Rechelle... but don't forget to curtsey to me, Lady Fi.

And yes, thy glorious award is made of chocolate, so you may eat it.

Rhea said...

crock-of-crap shoes. hehe Oh, that's a good one.

Anonymous said...

So I know Rechelle is your sister, but the way you talk about your kids, I swear you and I must be sisters. You always wanted another sister didn't you? One with brown hair and major OCD. Oh, whew, good. I was starting to worry there for a minute. Maybe it will make you feel better to know that whilst still trying to fine tune the potty training of my son he proceeded to go POOP in the backyard. We aren't in the country. There is construction going on behind our house. I could just die of mortification. The best was when I had to use the dog's pooper scooper to pick it up. Just thought I would try and brighten your day.

Sandra in Phx said...

OK, I took a moment out of my super crazy day and I am cracking up. Not because your plight is so crazy but it is strangely similar to my plight...homeschooling my oldest three (one 5th grader and two 1st graders) along with a three year old that I am trying to potty train this week and a sixteen month old that is coming into "fit" season. You know the season where you scream and cry when you don't get what you want...I figure if she stops having fits, I may stop mine. We are both a bit stubborn though so I don't see that stopping anytime soon.
Anyway, I hear your pain, I share your pain...

Anonymous said...

Oops... I made a serious mistake... My award goes to April - not the Country Doctor's Wife!!

Sorry - ought to put my brain in gear first before writing!

;-)

Karen Deborah said...

There are less apinful ways than Dave Ramsey.
http://discovermoneymerge.com/jimmy

and no it's not a scam or it would not have won the Ernst & Young award for the region of Utah this year.