Thursday, September 04, 2008

Noxious Spray

Don't worry, I'm not writing another post about anything political.  BTW, I appreciate all your comments for and against and I won't shut my comments off unless someone gets hurtful.  We are all Americans and for that reason you're able to comment as you wish about Mrs. Palin and me. Please know that I am not so young, stupid or blond to base my vote on a darling little girl spit shinin' her baby bro's head.  


Now, I need to tell you a story about my city slicker turned country boy husband.

Early in the summer as I was driving down our country road I passed a county truck with a big tank in the bed of the vehicle.  The driver was moving slowly along the shoulder holding a spray nozzle out the window at different intervals dousing something in the ditches with a liquid.

Huh?  I thought.  Wonder what the heck he's spraying?

If you know Clay really well then you will know that he tries desperately to come up with a good answer to all of life's questions no matter how assanign his conclusion may be, he genuinely can make a person believe that he actually has wisdom beyond his years.  I've told him many, many, many, many times that it's okay to say, "Uh, I dunno".

So, I told him about the county spray truck and related my question, "What do you think they were spraying?"

And my husband's brilliant answer was........

"Snakes."

They're spraying for snakes?

"Yeah, I bet so."

Snake spray?

"No?"

Honey, just when I think you've turned the corner from being all citified you come up with Snake Spray.  Oh boy.  And you want to be called the Farmer?  




Since we had the snake spray conversation I've discovered that Kansas has a noxious weeds department and if you have any of these noxious weeds growing in your pasture you have to eradicate them.  The same goes for the county ditches.  If these noxious weeds are allowed to live they will take over and destroy a good grazing pasture.  

But, from now on, we will refer to the noxious weed patrolling as The Snake Spray Truck.


21 comments:

Jen said...

Hi! Because you are hilarious I gave you A Major Award, over at my blog.

Lori Waggoner said...

Just caught up on your last 8 of 10 posts. You make me smile.

Clay, Clay, Clay. You make me smile too, but for a whole different reason.

Lori Waggoner said...

That's 8 OR 10...no, I did not choose 8 out of 10 to read. What a dork.

jean said...

I think it's really a spray for the LBS Deer.

Pamelotta said...

In my circle, this is called "wind talkin" if you get my drift. You could also say that someone's blowin it out their ars, but "wind talkin" will suffice.

Tell Clay that the trick to good wind talkin is your confidence level. If he had said, "I believe they're spraying for snakes, honey" with no question mark, you just might have believed him. Trust me. It works. My husband's a pro.

Housewife Superstar said...

Ha ha ha. You should come to Australia, we spray for Drop Bears.
BTW, in regards to your last post, I find it really interesting that everyone seems to have such strong opinions about the political candidates. Here in Australia we don't give a rats about any of 'em. They don't hype themselves up on telly like your guys do. Most of us vote only because we get a fine if we don't show up to the polling booth on election day! I think it's also funny that Australia has such wide tv coverage of your political candidates - like we care! (but I saw the hair slicking & thought it was gorgeous too...even tho I have no idea who that woman is)

Sharon said...

I wish there was a snake spray. ;)

Phelan said...

oh April, my side now hurts. Pigweed is a huge problem here. We dig ours up by hand.

melissa said...

You and Clay are so funny. My husband would tell me that and I would have believed him. Duh. Thank goodness he has you.

Unknown said...

um...excuse me. I DO know what the heckle jo jeckle I'm talking about...

http://www.gemplers.com/product/145575/Liquid-Fence-Snake-Repellent-Quart-Ready-to-use-Spray-Bottle

put that in your bonnet and sniff it.

Sally-Ann said...

Clay,Send some of that snake spray on down here to Florida. Grew up in Australia with nasty snakes, now live in Florida with nasty snakes. Hate snakes. Had one in our bathroom, standing on the toilet naked is not my idea of fun (me, not the snake!), one in the dining room, by the front door,and one hanging from the water spout - they are everywhere!!!! Nasty, nasty creatures. OK, I'm done

Unknown said...

We need some jelly fish spray...you always make me smile and laugh without end. I love visiting with you!

Rhea said...

snake spray is definitely more creative.

I bet the whole "noxious weeds" story is just a cover up.

Yeah, let's go with that story.

Rhea said...

BTW, my post today is about my little one and his "wind talkin'" as that other commenter called it. lol

We're of similar minds today. Brilliant minds and all that...

Anonymous said...

Clay? Is that you? Heckle jo jeckle? LMBO (laughed my buttocks off!)

Thank you for the giggle.... as usual the girls here at work think I have lost my mind when I start giggling and can't stop when reading your blog. Now I gotta bookmark Clay's blog. I need to be stopped....

Snake spray? Don't need here in Idaho - well when we're at home. We don't really get them around the house... But hunting? Well, wouldn't mind having the spray at those times!

Again April... great blog, lots of fun! And I think she is hot, too! Alaska, coldest state - Hottest Governor! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Before MrCoach was Coach he was FarmBoy. One day driving I commented on the corn, he said that's maize. I said same thing and he told me no they aren't even close......they smell different. Now the joke is to roll down the window as we pass a field to smell which crop it is. Oh wait, I'm the only one who finds it funny still....OKLAHOMA where the waving wheat smells like wheat....(our state song is Oklahoma where the waving wheat sure smells sweet).

Anonymous said...

It's okay, Clay. I thought the fields of young tobacco plants near our home were cabbage plants. My family is still teasing me. In my defense, we just moved to the country and I never even had a garden until this summer.

Anonymous said...

There really is a snake spray. My mom's best friend moved into a home and her yard was infested with garter snakes (yikes!). She has an exterminator come and he sprayed her yard with some sort of toxic chemical and she hasn't had a problem with snakes since. She probably doesn't have any cats, birds, dogs visit her yard either!

Kris

Trisha said...

Snake Spray - I wish they had it! I have to say that I missed the hair smoothing scene but I heard all about it from my Hubby and Father!

Jean Martha said...

the Fiance asked me last week as we whizzed down the country road doing 65mph "were those cows or horses?". I'd like to pretend the question was just a reflection of the speed...

Teresa said...

Dear April Showers,
The hair lickin' did it for me too. Just a family! Just a nice family! With no anything to live up too! Just the moment is the biggest thing that they have to live up too! Just a family, just a WOMAN that wants to better her country. And thank you for the cheers, good job! A ready okay sends out the message! How do you use a cheer after high school? encourage your family! Thank you for your fun blog!