Friday, February 27, 2009

Let's figure out this coupon thing.

If you have been following the whole 'April Learns How to Use a Coupon' adventure, then you will appreciate that I'm actually putting forth some effort.

First I started buying coupons at The Coupon Clippers because for a nimrod like me it was so easy and the sight isn't cluttered with a bunch of crap or cwap as my daughter would say. I've spent under $20 on coupons and to date I've saved over $80 on items that I would normally buy without a coupon. I've also noticed that I'm stocked with stuff that I usually have to buy every month. I have 5 bottles of Softscrub, 6 boxes of tampons, 4 bottles of lotion and on and on just because I was able to save a ton by using my coupons.

I've finally got in the swing of looking at the sale's fliers for my local grocery store and yes, I look at them online and I figured out they come out every Tuesday...... I know, I'm a genius! I also learned that I can load coupons onto my grocery card. Yes, it's true, so I loaded some coupons onto my card last night and when I buy that item the coupon will automatically ring up when the cashier swipes my card, plus I can use a manufacturer's coupon along with it and save even more! I sound like a pro don't I?!!!

I'm also in the process of figuring out CVS and Walgreens. I found a great sight that has tutorials for both stores and has links to great coupon places. Go here to learn all about it.

Okay, so let's go back to the question; Are coupons worth it? I'm going to vote YES! The first time I used a bunch of coupons on items that I buy on a regular basis and watched my bill decrease by $40, well, that was all the proof I needed.

I have to admit I still have a lot to learn, but by golly it's a bit of a rush to see just how much I can save.

Now if you need some inspiration to start saving I recommend these sights;

Retail Anarchy
- Written by our own Jean Martha's/ Renovation Therapy/ I love Upstate's fiance. Sam has a book and a documentary and a bunch of radio podcasts that focus on how to save money on groceries and basically figuring out how to declare retail anarchy. I also love that he put together a list that he calls Deal Sites.

Be A Blessing- Great tutorials for learning how to use CVS and Walgreens sales.

Savvy Savings Tucson- Written by cookbook author Stephanie Ashcraft. The girl has great deals listed on her sight and she's a coupon queen.

I know there are tons of sights out there and many of you initially pointed me in the direction that has led me to where I am now, so thank you my dear cheap/frugal readers for helping me learn what a frickin' coupon is and how I can use it.

You can't save the world, but you can save some money so get out there and try!

17 comments:

Wanda..... said...

By using coupons doubled in their value and the purchased item being on sale at the same time ...I have stocked up on most of the things we purchase. It is worth it, but it's annoying to deal with...wish prices were just lowered across the board.

Lisa said...

APRIL, GO OVER TO MY FRIEND ALLISON, AND READ HER POST ABOUT THE GROCERY GAME. SHE IS HOOKED AND SO ARE MANY OTHERS.

http://allisonfluet.blogspot.com/2009/02/grocery-game-im-playing-and-im-loving.html

HUGS FROM MAINE

Leila said...

I agree that buying things at the retail price is craziness.

I think that in the long run -- as far as food goes -- you will do the best for your family if you plan meals and shop according to the sales flyer, stocking up on items that are marked down.

If you can use a coupon as well, go for it. But you need a system for getting meals on the table.

Thanks for this post!

erinz said...

I only seem to save about $2.00 or so each time. I am frustrated that the Sunday paper only has coupons for things I don't need. I will check out the coupon sites you listed. Thanks for sharing!

April said...

Wanda, I totally agree.

Rhea said...

I still can't believe you have to buy coupons...that just sounds so wrong. lol

But it sounds like it's starting to work for you...

Jenni said...

Can you please explain this loading coupons onto grocery cards? What does that mean? How is it done? Are you talking about a Dillon's card? Off to google CVS.

Gladys said...

The grocery I use doesn't have a saving card. No I can't go to another store cause there isn't one. I do not use coupons because I forget them. I had a $50.00 rebate on my replacemenet cell phone and I sent it in only to get a letter back from them telling me I had waited too long. They told me I had to wait 30 days to send it and so I sent it on the 31st day. It was a scam...they told me I sent it too late.

Jean Martha said...

Rock on girlie...at some point you'll have so much knowledge and confidence in swinging the deals and acquiring coupons that you won't need to buy them, baby steps. For now, you're doing awesome!

The Fiance was on the front page of a newspaper today, tres exciting.

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

I tried using coupons , I always found making things from scratch and buying generic saved me so much more.

Natalie said...

Hey you! Has mom left you a comment yet? The blog is really cute! I'll be sure to visit once in a while. Glad we finally found you! :)

Unknown said...

I saw your link at Karen Deborah's fresh fixins and came over to read this article. I have the hardest time with coupons. I feel motivated now though : ). Thank you! LOVE your picture of the kids in the sea of gold on the side. So pretty.

Katharine said...

I have to say that this TOTALLY OVERWHELMS ME... but you're encouraging me to take baby steps... but what is "loading onto my grocery card?" Help me out with your knowledge, oh great couponness...

Anonymous said...

Providence just started FPU last night. I have a newbie question. How do you load coupons on your 'card' when you don't use a credit card? There is something I am missing here.

April said...

Hey Old Neighbor!!

The grocery card is a shopping card like a Barnes and Noble card you use the card for dscounts you can't use it to purchase anything. I would think Schnucks or Dierbergs would have something like that????

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the hellp;)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for mentioning me in your post! You are too kind! Couponing saves our family a lot of money. It's almost an addicting sport at times! :-) Happy saving!