Friday, February 13, 2009

The cows and I are sad.

My sweet-sweet neighbor, Ramone, is in the hospital battling congestive heart failure. His wife, Virginia, called me yesterday to tell me they took him to the ER at two o'clock in the morning. Virginia was so tired, she just recently had surgery on her back.

Virginia said, "Well, I'm going to go out and water the cows and then I'm going to lay down for a bit."

WHAT!

This is how she rolls. Never asking me to help her. Of course I insisted on taking care of the cows until they tell me otherwise. As I was filling up their water tanks the cows came lumbering over, but instead of drinking they just stood and stared at me. I could hear the muttering.

What's the blond chick doing here? Where's Ramone?

I can't think of what this place will be like if Ramone doesn't pull through. I know he's 88 years old and lived a full and beautiful life, but I still have so many questions to ask him and he told me he would help me get my garden planted correctly this year. I can't tell you how many times he has told me to, Getchoo some lime and getchoo some sand!

I feel a measure of comfort knowing that he and Virginia are out here and know so much about the area and the soil.

This is one time that looking to the future makes me sad.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I'm sad with you. What a blessing it to have them in your life.

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry Ramone is not doing well. I love hearing about him and Virginia. They're such an inspiration. I want to be like them when I grow up.

Unknown said...

Wow, this breaks my heart too! My heart goes out to your neighbor and his family.
Take good care of those cows! They may become yours soon.....

MrsMama said...

Oh no! I know what good neighbors they are. They are lucky, too, to have you guys next door. I'm sure you and your family will rally to help do what you can.

Gladys said...

Count me in with the cows.

Linda said...

I love the stories of Ramone and VIrginia. I will be praying for them both. Like you and the cows, I am sad too.

Jen said...

Ramone please get well soon.

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!! I am praying for Ramone and his wife!

jean said...

I'll keep both of them in my prayers. And the cows. And you, but mostly them.

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

I don't even know the fella but the photo just shows the most generous giving souled eyes.
He looks like a man who just works hard and complains little...Just gets on with it!
All my thoughts and prayers are with him for a speedy recovery

Stephanie said...

So sad! Ramone and Virginia remind me so much of my grandparents..Love to hear your
stories of them..Hope he is OK..

Melody said...

I'll send some prayers Ramone's way.

Lisa S. said...

I wish I had a Ramone and Virginia in my life...I need lots of guidance. I'm sorry to hear of his illness, my heart goes out to them. You're such a good neighbor to help take care of his wife and cows. Wish him well for me too! I'll bet he doesn't even know how popular he is huh?

Anonymous said...

How incredibly sad. On a good note, my grandfather lived 5 more years after a congestive heart failure diagnosis, I pray Ramone can come home for at least one more summer!

Enid said...

If you can, bring him some of his dirt in a ziplop bag. I this that to my grandfather, and from time to time he will smell his little, before he die he told me just the smell will take pain away and been in the hospital. Sad with you April.

Sally said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. You're a good neighbor, and I pray he pulls through.

Brindi said...

Lots of prayers for sweet Ramone and Virginia.

Karen Deborah said...

ahhh shoot, I understand and he looks so adorable too. The good thing is you have just started a prayer chain and that can only help.

Anonymous said...

No, no, no!!! Not Ramone!!! I'm looking forward to seeing him in a couple of weeks!! We'll be praying for him.

Brad, Lauri & Ethan Bernet said...

What a great neighbor you are-I will be praying that he feels better soon! PS-I enjoyed what I saw of your class today-was that Sandra Boynton the kids were acting out? I LOVE her!! See you around the car line. Lauri B

Lisa said...

I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR DEAR NEIGHBOR, AND HIS PRECIOUS WIFE.

HUGS FROM MAINE TO YOU, & THEM

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Trisha said...

88 is a nice long life but, for some people, you just wish they stayed around forever.

My prayers are with Ramone and Virginia.

Janelle said...

How sad :( I wish I had someone here like them. We will be praying for a speady recovery. Glad to know I'm not the only one who hears those dirty cow looks :)

Rhea said...

Oh, Ramone's story isn't over yet!

He and Virginia are in my prayers.

Sally-Ann said...

Good neighbors are a great blessing. I love your stories about Ramone. He is in my prayers

Jean Martha said...

hoping the best for them.

Anonymous said...

God Bless all of you!

The Source said...

Aww...my prayers are with Ramone and Virginia. Please let us know how he progresses. I feel like I sort of know them...weird, huh?