Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mushrooms and Worms

I stepped outside to take a deep breath of fresh spring air just to get my nostrils attacked by the raw sewage spewing out of the septic tank, ewww! The guy that pumps it out addresses me as "Dear", he's got to be sweet to compensate for the things he comes in contact with every day. There were mushrooms growing around the rim of the tank lid, yeah, I won't be picking mushrooms this year.

I turned a few shovels full of my garden over to check the worm count. Ooooooh, it's looking good folks, lots of night crawlers, that's a great sign. The kids and I started all the seed beds. I told myself to stick to a plan, don't go nuts with the seeds. Clay noticed the labels on the seed beds and said, "April, you don't have enough room for all this stuff. Don't you remember last year? What's this, ornamental gourds, pumpkins, corn?!!!!" (for you non-gardeners, pumpkins and corn take up a lot of space). I snapped back, "I have a plan!". He is going to build some more raised beds. I really need a handy man, this guy would build things at my beckon call, mow the lawn, take out the trash, clean the garage, clean the filter on the septic tank (something we would both rather pay a million dollars to replace the tank than have to touch), chop down all the dead trees and cut into firewood, do all the maintenance on the vehicles, paint the house, fix all appliances, etc. Yes, I think I could keep a guy busy for awhile. I hope my three boys are handy, they could really be useful someday.

No comments: