Thursday, March 12, 2009

I not stupid, I NOT!

I was searching for a really stupid picture to post with this entry, I think I found it. When you're done freaking out, let me know. The scariest part is it kind of looks like my dog, Preacher.

I needed a stupid picture to relay how stupid Wal-Greens is. In their sale flier they were advertising buy one get one free Loreal make-up products. Since I had several $3 off coupons I decided to stop by and get me some deals, man!

But, the price for one bottle of foundation was over 14 dollars! Now, I haven't bought any make-up for a very long time so I stood there wondering if Loreal foundation really is that expensive and if I bought two bottle of foundation would I still be using it when my great-grandchildren are visiting me in the nursing home??? I decided to check the prices elsewhere before investing in a life time supply of foundation.

Last night I stopped in Target to pick up at least $50 worth of groceries because I had a coupon for $5 off when I purchased $50 or more and who can't spend 50 bucks at Target? I had all my boys with me, so I knew getting distracted by the home products was not going to be a problem and I decided I was going to STAY ON THE GROCERY SIDE of the store.

I had a list and all my lovely coupons with me. Just as we were heading to the check out I decided to swing by the make-up to check the prices on Loreal products. I was dumbfounded to see that the foundation was priced at a bit over seven bucks. Which means Wal-Green is charging you for both bottles! There is nothing FREE about their BOGO! I think their BOGO is LOCO and I won't be falling for it anytime soon.

The best moment I had at Target was while I was paying my bill. An older couple was unloading their items onto the belt while I was handing over my coupons. The gentleman started to watch as the checker was scanning them and when she told me my total at the end which was $62.70 he perked up and said, "Wow! That's impressive you started at $73!" I was thrilled to say, "No, no I started at $78!" He had missed her scanning my five dollar off coupon. Then I laughed and told him how I had just started using coupons and it's really working for me and I thanked him for noticing.

You'll also be happy to know that I bought a Sunday paper, sat my big butt down and clipped me some coupons. There were three or four that I used at Target and a couple that I decided to leave on the shelf next to the product for someone else to use.

The real test will be at the end of this month to see if I can get under our usual $750 for groceries and household sundries.

25 comments:

Gladys said...

Yeah you have to watch that when using coupons. I took the sale flier from one drug store to another because of the huge price difference. The higher priced store clerk said "Well I guess you won't be purchasing that item here." DUH!

Kim said...

I'm a little saddened by the fact that I clip coupons every Sunday and while there's always a Target flyer included with the paper, there's never been a coupon like that.
I've learned to pretty much always buy make-up at Target or Walmart. Those dang drug stores will getcha every time.

SUGAMAMA'S CAFE' said...

Great Haul,
My husband had some Fred Myer coupons that come to our address and then some from the paper and by the end of his haul, He bought 86 dollars worth of food and nonfood items and spent only 8 something for tax the rest the Coupons picked up Cooh huh?
Only works though, when the coupons cover what you normally would buy.. I love a good coupon Story!

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome! Way to go on the deals for coupons!

I have really started to look even harder at the grocery flyers. I find so many $1 (or 10 for $10 deals) so I've stocked up on some items. I rarely don't have much for a recipe in the pantry, now. It's great!

April said...

Kim,
That coupon was on the back of a Target Toy catalog that came in the mail.

Sameday said...

Okay, that is the scariest picture I have seen. It is just freaking me out!! - forget about the money saving coupons.....Yikes

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

I've Seen Walgreens doing that as well. The prices are only B1G1F because they are jacked to double the regular price , I have seen it with Teething Gells and Pills , and OTHER Infant OTC meds.

Anonymous said...

Well done!! the BOGO deals do need examining carefully.
And nice work on the coupon fairy activities. I love leaving coupons on the shelf. I particularly like to do so in the baby aisle. I clip all the pampers/huggies etc even though I no longer have infants. I figure some poor soul who is sleep deprived can use them and maybe buy themselves a nice cup of coffee.
I also peer into peoples carts behind me in the checkout and give them coupons if I have some. On second thoughts.......
Maybe I'm a coupon stalker

Jana said...

I got mad at Walgreen's last night, too! They had a store coupon for Garnier Fructis shampoo, that brought the price down to .99. I had a $1.00 off coupon from the paper, and wanted to use it to get the shampoo for free. They usually do let you combine newspaper coupons with their store coupons, but not last night. The clerk said, "but then it would be like you getting it for free!" duh. That's why I was there!

Jenni said...

I'm not sure what this post said. I read it, but I couldn't focus. Something about coupons. I'm still freaking out over the picture of Dr. Moreau's doggie. I really did think you'd done some kind of crazy Photoshop magic to merge a pic of Preacher with a pic of Clay. That is some scary cwap, man!

Maren said...

I've had such bad luck with coupons..but hearing how you have saved is perking me up! I'm sorry about Wal greens, I usually have such good luck there. Way to shop around:)

Anonymous said...

I, like Jana, had the same experience with the Fructis about a month ago. (That stuff is on sale for FREE with coupon all the time.) I've since made sure that when I check out, I pile up all my coupons and hand them over at the very end so the cashier doesn't harass me about it. I spend the whole time yaking her ear off and yelling at my kids so the last thing she can focus on is that I'm buying something for free.

Karen Deborah said...

ROCK ON GIRL!! It's contagious, and I'm surprising myself at my new found stinginess.
However I am having a surprise give away contest wouldn't you like to come by and enter?

Rhea said...

That's so disappointing about Walgreens. That's just dishonest, in my opinion.

Target rocks. Way to go with your coupon saving!

Anonymous said...

Okay...not to burst your bubble or anything, but I have to brag a LITTLE about my recent grocery-shop...Okay, using coupons I paid a total of $88.05 (for a family of 6). I saved $180.95. I'm not even kidding. I've been doing this on a regular basis for the last year or so, and my mother/aunts/uncles/sister keep telling me that I could have a business teaching my skillz to others. It really is like having a part time job though. Congrats on your savings!

April said...

Sarah! That's amazing! That doesn't burst my bubble, it just spurs me on to do better.

April said...

That picture is disturbing!!!

Oh and good job on the savings! :D

Donna Boucher said...

That dog is so creepy.

Linda said...

Would you be willing to share exactly what you bought at Target and used your coupons for? My problem is that I just don't find coupons for the items I buy. I think I'm on the fringe of not normal. Ok, maybe totally abnormal.

April said...

Yes, Linda, I will as soon as I can get the receipt back from Clay.

muddywaters said...

Please don't do that.

Marilyn said...

Oh, my. Walgreens bad, but you must have pure evil in your to post that picture. Man-dog will never let me sleep now. Ever.

Marcie said...

Nope, you aren't stupid. I would have kept walking too. Now that picture is priceless. I spewed some coffee on my screen over that one.

Now about those Target coupons. I'd like to personally invite you to drop by my blog weekly for some coupon matching fun. I post everything in the ad with coupon match-ups on Sunday. Then in a day or so I poke around the blogosphere and see what deals everyone is coming up with and do a round-up.

I'd love nothing better than to hear you walked out with a cart load of items for nearly nothing!

Hope to see you soon! Leave a comment so I know you found me.

AttentionTargetShoppers.com

Ginger

Kathy Grimm said...

I want to save money with coupons, I really do. But, I never eat the stuff that I find coupons for? I just buy grocery generics instead. So what's wrong with the dog? Doesn't your pet look half human? He seems just fine. I've had one of these demonic beasts living in my home for years. The thing is, they DO smell pretty bad. I always knew our dog was a double agent. But "who" is she a double agent for? Satan or God? God or Satan? If I can't figure this one out, how will she? She is the dumbest double agent demon dog I have ever known. Sometimes I just wish she would run and just keep on running. But, then who would I have to blame for all the unexplainable accidents in my house?

baludec4 said...

Hahahaha funny picture. I am enjoy with picture. Good post, stupid picture.