Saturday, November 08, 2008

Head Whackings

This morning as I sat on the edge of my bed to steady myself before taking on the day I reached up to give my head a nice scratching. As I dug my nails down through my hair I came across one tender spot, then another and then another. Oh, my head is sore.

Someday, I'm going to realize how tall I am. Until that glorious day comes I will continue to whack my head on just about anything that's two inches shorter than me. Apparently, there's nothing too valuable above my eyeballs, because anyone WITH a brain would have learned by now that my basement is not getting any taller.

We have an old house. Our basement is very shallow, like less than six feet and last time I checked I am six feet tall. I have left large chunks of my scalp all over the pipes and floor beams that make up the ceiling of the basement. I hate toting stuff down there. Did I mention the laundry room is in the basement?

Head whacking occurrences in the basement this week= 1

My office is very tiny. There are shelves fitted around the walls which is great for books, pictures, piles of paper and one cat. I decided to tidy up my office this week which meant picking up all the books, pictures and piles of paper the cat shoved off the shelf and futilely put them back on the shelves, when I stood up I... THUNK. My head is now embedded with the wooden corner of a shelf.

Head whacking occurrences in the office this week= 1

And sadly, there was something I did in the barn, but I can't remember the circumstances. Maybe because I've hit my head one too many times?????

Head whacking occurrences in the barn this week= 1 or possibly more, hard to tell, since I must be suffering from short term memory loss.

I think I need to start wearing a helmet.

16 comments:

DesertHen said...

At 5'9", I'm always whacking my head on some darn thing!! One time at band camp....oh wait, wrong story! One time I was leaning over under the bull-nose of our goose-neck stock trailer...I knew better then to stand up, but what did I do...I stood up fast and knocked myself silly!! Everything went black, then turned blue and I swear to you I saw twinklie lights!! My head hurt for a week!!

Hubby is bald....yes, bald! He is also 6'3" and is forever hitting his head which leads to nasty scabs and scars on the top of his bald noggin......April, be thankful you have hair!!

Granna said...

Being short has it's disadvantages, too. How would you like to have to climb on a step stool every time you need something off the top shelf in the kitchen?
When I'm in Walmart I look for tall people when I need to reach something. I've also gone to the housewares department and got a mop to use to rake something to the edge of the shelf so I can reach it!!!

Jenni said...

Well bless your bruisy little noggin'! I'm *almost* 5'4" and I duck constantly for fear I'm going to hit my head on things which are usually a good 6" or more above my head. I look like an idiot and it doesn't keep me from having mishaps. I duck to avoid something I couldn't whack my head on if I tried and end up running into something lower and to the left. My knees and shins are the most often injured.

Sally-Ann said...

I am tall, but don't bump my noggin on things all that much. I run into things like the edge of the door. Over a 6 month period this year I have had 3 black eyes. One was bad enough to swell completely shut. People always look at you with pity when you have a black eye and they look at your husband suspiciously! One was from the door incident, the next was my son head butting me and the last one was a tree branch.

jean said...

I have to tell you I love reading your blog. Seriously, it never fails to make me laugh. This post was no exception. I'm still giggling about the barn, even if I have no idea what you did in there!

Anonymous said...

Cabinet doors are my nemisis. Of course, that's probably due more to my habit of leaving them open than my height (5'9" for the record).

Alicia said...

At 5'2", I usually don't have this problem. I do sometimes hit my head getting into the car though, and it's really no fun at all.

Sharon said...

This sure explains a lot. ;)

Southern Gal said...

Make sure it's a helmet and not a cap with a visor. I speak from experience...you'll take the top of your head off on some beam or something that you never see if you do. Did that on the USS Yorktown and had blood running down my forehead before my husband and friends starting pointing and gasping.

Being tall has it's disadvantages, eh?

Kim said...

At 5'3", I've always wished to be taller, but I never thought about it being dangerous. Like Alicia said, I'm one of those who whacks her head on her car. You wouldn't believe how many times I've done that, the worst one being on my husband and my first date. Not only was I so freaking embarrassed, I had to pretend like it didn't hurt to try and be cool. After nine years of marriage, I'm glad I don't have to pretend anymore.

Stephanie in Idaho said...

This sure explains a lot?! Hilarious, Sharon!

Thanks for making me laugh yet again, April. I am 5'0" and that has NEVER happened to me... lol

Southern Gal said...

Oh man! I'm sorry! I can't imagine how sore my head would be if I was six feet tall - I'm 5'8 & feel like I whack my head enough as it is!

Oh, & don't even get me started on my hips & shoulders! I obviously am a narrow-hipped and shoulder-ed person in my mind only, because I always find myself going through doorways & WHACK!

Linda said...

When you said "wear a helmet" it reminded me of the little boy character that Mike Myers used to play on SNL ... Simon. He had to wear a helmet. And he always made bubbles in the bathtub, if you know what I mean. Hope you don't have that problem too.

I constantly whack my shins on the dishwasher door. How is that possible you ask? Because it's always open for some unknown reason and I'll walk right into every time. Looking right at it and whack! UGH Why doesn't anyone shut it? It's like not putting the toilet lid down ... why doesn't anyone at my house get this?

Anonymous said...

Ok, are we talking about the Jack Nicholason helmet from "Easy Rider" or the kid with the hockey helmet on a short bus?

Just wondering.

Rhea said...

I didn't realize you were so tall! I'm jealous. I am short and can never reach anything.

Egghead said...

Oh you have the perfect excuse to make the children do all the laundry. Poor little girl with a bumpy noggin! Put some ice on it and sit with your feet up.