Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shucka Corn

Every single time I shuck corn I am reminded of that song I Feel For You.


Shucka Corn, Shucka Corn, Shucka Corn let me rock you let me rock you Shucka Corn....

If you don't know what I'm talking about then please get off the internet and go ask your parents. And if I hear, "Um, yeah, April, it's Chaka Khan" I am going to roll my eyes back into my brain and then email you some of my sarcasm, wit and ability to recreate the words of any 80's rock song to fit the mood of the moment. It's a gift.


Anyway. I mowed down my pathetic corn. I couldn't stand the sight of it anymore. It was disgusting me. The sight of it was a constant reminder that I have a garden full of rocks. It had to go.  I failed.

As I was mowing it down Clay yelled at me, "Don't you think that's being a bit rash?! I mean look at that one stalk. It was doing really well!"

Then I mowed over him. Now my garden looks great.


Admitting to my failure I went down the road and picked sweet corn at a U-Pick farm.  
Shucka Corn, Shucka Corn
Shucka Corn let me boil you, let me boil you Shucka Corn
Oh, and one more thing about corn........


Hey!  Ramone!  Hey, Ramone!!!!  Look at my cucumber!!  It's bigger than the corn!  Have you seen my cucumbers?!  Huh?  Huh?  My cucumber can kick your corn's kerneled butt!



13 comments:

Linda Stamps said...

lol thanks for the morning giggle

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love me some fresh corn. Blanch it, cool it down, cut it off the ear, scrape the juices out and freeze some to have all year long. Lot of work but well worth it. mmmmmm Margie

Jenni said...

Actually, I think your lyrics make much more sense! What/who is Chaka Khan anyway? I always wondered about that. There was no Google in the 80s, but I have it now and I'm going to use it now while I'm thinking about it.

Jenni said...

Ah-ha! One of life's great mysteries solved thanks to Google and Wikipedia! Chaka Khan was the woman who sang "I Feel For You" and had someone chanting her name in the background. Weird, but not as weird as the fact that she actually changed her name to this and that her sister goes by Taka Boom. Their brother seems to have kept his normal name instead of going with something like Jamon It.

Anonymous said...

That was hysterical. Thanks so much for the laugh. I really needed it.

http://illusivejoy.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon,
I am new to your blog but plan on returning often. I found you at your sister's blog and found her over at Pioneer Woman. Since our youngest daughter has four kids as do you, your sister and Pioneer Woman and since our daughter and her four kids live with my hubby and I and we Home School them, I can relate, kinda sorta.
You're a hoot and make me laugh. Which we all need Right?
Keep on Bloggin' Sister.
Lila (Nannie) in Atlanta

Rosemary Q said...

Your sister sent me over here. . . and I listened and I'm glad I did cause you are pretty darn funny.

Are you sure that cucumber isn't a watermelon? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi April-Your sister sent me over here. I have enjoyed reading your blog and I will add it to my favorites. You made me laugh out loud several times.

Unknown said...

Like I said, do not stop writing. You are amazingly funny and I really do think you rock.

jean said...

That cucumber is, umm, obscene and kinda scary. At least now you know your gardening strength. Slice that bad boy up and make a nice salad.

Egghead said...

For some reason now I have Ooga Chucka, Ooga Chucka stuck in my head and it wasn't even the song you were talking about. That goes to show you how ADHD I am. I love fresh farm corn. We gave up growing it ever since my son planted it in our raised beds and the crows decided they lived in our garden. It was cheaper and easier to just go pick it at the farms. Great cuke!

Kim said...

Shucked Corn:
I feel for you,
I think I love you...
Really, the song says it all regarding my feelings about corn on the cob.
And now I'll be singing it the rest of the day.

Labyrinth's Muse said...

April, I think I can help you with your garden problems! My dad had the same issues with rocks and being a retired engineer he decided to come up with a solution on his own. Take a look at his website. Loved your blog, I will be back! (though now that song is stuck in my head, thanks)

website is www.gardeningrevolution.com

Have a great week! ~Suz