Sunday, July 27, 2008

Neighborhood Competition

Ramone and Virginia are my neighbors. Ramone just celebrated his 88th birthday and Virginia is a young and vibrant 86 year old. Virginia amazes me. She gets up every morning and takes a walk with my dog, Preacher. Then she hangs her laundry out on the line. 


Since seeing her laundry swaying in the morning breeze it has been my soul's desire to get my laundry out before her. I don't know why, I just wanted to beat that old gal to the clothes line!
But, dang!  She gets up so stinkin' early and I uh, well, um, I don't.  But, a few mornings ago, I couldn't sleep and got tired of fighting the covers so I drug my bodaciousness out of bed and hung out the laundry.  When I looked over at Virginia's line it was empty.  YES!  Finally, I beat her.
When she did come out this is what she put out on the line.  Four things.  Which probably meant she didn't have any other laundry.  And I was just getting started.  An hour later she came out took down her meager load and I was left standing with another ginormous basket of wet clothes to hang out.  Load after load all day long.  My enthusiasm for defeating her dissipated quickly.
You know what else Virginia has?  A propane tank.  Not just a propane tank, but a propane tank painted like a cow.  And she has an old fashioned water pump there in the background.  She fills her bird bath with it.  How stinkin' cute is that?!
And this.  The kissing tractors.  I want kissing tractors!  Why don't I have kissing tractors?  Shouldn't every homestead have these love birds sitting out in a field?  Yes, I think so.  At least I get to look at them through my dining room window.

10 comments:

Nikki said...

Yeah, those kissing tractors are really cute. Gosh, I had no idea that tractors could even do that. Who would have known?
The smell of fresh laundry is oh-so-alluring. But as one who has hung clothes and such out, I gotta say all that gets old. Especially if your clothesline is under a tree and the birds think all your sheets have targets painted on them and you have them pinned from line to line. Looks like a pooper shooter has had a go at the clean laundry, if you know what I mean.

Trisha said...

So nice to have wonderful neighbors!

We can't hang laundry out right now since our line came down with our old fence. Besides, the homeowners association thinks it looks tacky! That is why we always did it on the sly!

Peggy said...

I would love to have Virgina as a neighbor too. Bet she has lots of stories to share too.

Alicia said...

I love the propane tank! Too cute! We actually have a cistern that we let our 5yo use to fill up his squirt gun.

Jennie said...

Thanks for stopping by the country vaughns blog. It's nice to meet new people. I love the propane tank, maybe we should do that to ours. We don't have the hand-pump but we do have an old well, we use it to water the garden and when we had a pool we filled the pool with well water. Convenient and free! I dream of the day when we will have a tractor, much less totally cute kissing tractors.

Becky said...

I have a tractor for sale. That would be a start on your kissing tractors.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. I LOVE the kissing tractors. you guys could be my neighbours... I LOVE your blog. too fun.

Egghead said...

I love the smell of laundry hung outside to dry. The kissing tractors are so cute and your neighbors sound like people I would love to have around. I love old people.....but maybe that is because I am headed that way.

Rhea said...

I love it! Kissing tractors, cow-painted propane tanks, a water pump and hanging laundry on the line. What year do you guys live in?! I LOVE it.

www.muebles-en-castellon.com said...

Well, I do not actually believe it is likely to have success.