Monday, December 22, 2008

Still no heat

Okay, heater guy, what's up? Where the heck are you? It's almost 5pm and so far he's a no show. Looks like we'll be going another night without heat. Fun, good times.

It's 49 degrees in our house, but we're staying warm. My two youngest children are far more durable than my older two. I have the double ovens turned on with the doors open to keep the kitchen warm and several times I've found Ellen draped INSIDE the oven. I'm serious. Seth, my oldest son, was walking around with a t-shirt, sweat pants and BARE FOOTED! Then he would come in the kitchen whining and shivering. I really wanted to smack him upside the head forty-nine times and then pinch him. My two oldest children have no brains what-so-ever!!!

Right now, I'm hiding in my two little boys' room. I brought the space heater with me, set my coffee down and within two minutes my coffee was cold and my fingers were numb, so I moved the space heater right next to me and the warm air is blowing over my hands making typing on the computer much easier. Hey! A woman needs to blog!

Today we made some ornaments out of clay....uh no not my Clay, the wet earthy stuff and we also tye died several things. Maybe, I'll show you pictures but it's not likely because I'm lazy, sluggish, slothish and just down right not wanting to put much effort into anything right now.

Also, I have to finish sewing a few things before Christmas and that means sitting at the dining room table with my sewing machine and it's just too cold in there right now. I have to say I would not make a very good pioneer. No, I wouldn't.

A couple funny things.

I got a card from one of Clay's aunts and it read, "Please send me pictures of the children. I did not much care for the silly pictures you sent with your card last year." Do you know this makes me want to send her an entire photo album full of bad photos? But I won't.

Do any of you cry when you hear this song? I remember the first time I heard it a couple years ago, I bawled like a baby. It came on the radio a couple days ago while I was driving home alone and I was thinking how stupid and cheesy I was to have cried over that silly song. You know what? By the last chorus, I was blubbering so hard I could barely see through my sea of tears. Dang it. I can't help it, I am a cheese ball and a real sucker for sappy songs.

Okay, now I really have to go muster up the courage to duck down in my frigid basement to change a load of laundry. When I say duck, I'm not kidding. I hit my head on the duct work down there last week so hard I thought I'd broke my neck. How many more times is it going to take for me to learn how shallow the basement is? I'm thinking a few more.

23 comments:

Kim said...

Are you sure Clay and I aren't related because HIS aunt certainly sounds like one of MY aunts! But my aunt is Jewish, so I doubt they're the same. Perhaps they attended the same school of ettiquette however.
While we do have heat (somewhat), there's something out of whack so that I need to turn the thermostat to 78 just to make the house 68. I'm sure that's not good. I'm sitting here typing in two sweaters and a hoodie. I will share my secret for dealing with a cold house: skip showers until absolutely necessary and wear long johns under all your clothes.

Gladys said...

Ok first of all go right now and get you an oil filled space heater. go buy several. They are 30 dollars at the Squalmart. Next put them in whatever room you are trying to keep warm. I promise this will heat your house up. I used to live in the haunted mansion that would be 32 below zero and I could plug those babies in and let them heat and it would keep things toastie. Next you need a pellet or a corn stove. They are easy to install don't take up much room and are a God send.

Rhea said...

You sound COLD. brrrr!!!

I can't believe that Clay's aunt wrote that about your photos. Old people can get away with saying whatever they want, can't they?!

I've never seen the movie Christmas Shoes or heard that song before.

Anonymous said...

There are certian beverages you can add to your coffee to help keep you warmer. Just a suggestion.

cd0103 said...

Okay-- feeling lots of hate for posting that song. Now must go wash the tears off my face.

Anonymous said...

It's 39 outside down here & I have been complaining all day. I'll stop now. So sorry you've been dealing w/ this in such a cold snap. I do hope the repair guy has shown up by now & you all will be toasty soon!

pam said...

I've heard the Shoes story but never heard it sung. My God!!! I'm bawling like a baby. I love it, and you. Thanks April.

Jean Martha said...

Clay's Aunt sounds hysterical!! I picture her looking like Barbara Stanwyck.

How far is Rechelle's house? Can you go there. Tell your daughter to get her head out of the oven, she's not a poet.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Clay's aunt lives in the midwest and is of Norwegian ancestry. I have an aunt like her. The family is used to her nondiplomatic/unintentional ouchy comments. Dad said she'd never get a job with the diplomatic corps.
At least your daughter didn't climb in the dryer to warm up. Hope the furnace guy is just running late and will be there tonight.

Anonymous said...

Hey April. I read the book by the same name 2 years ago, boo hoo cried like nobody's business. Then I lent it to John and Nancy McG and both of them cried like babies. It made the song impossible for me to hear even a smidge of without crying. And in the video you posted, Brad Paisley's wife, Kimberly, as the doomed Mama! No!! Give me a Kleenex.

Hope you have heat soon!

Joy said...

I can't believe someone would say that - I don't care if they are related!

Hope you get some heat SOON!!!

Linda said...

My hubby's aunt once sent us a card that said if I didn't bother to write something of value in my Christmas cards then to not bother sending her one at all. Good thing she doesn't read my blog!

Sending WARM wishes your way. I have a 3-year old that generates enough heat to warm an entire room. You might want to look into getting one of those. If you can handle the occasional temper tantrums.

Karen Deborah said...

Don't you have a fireplace? That's awful. We really are spoiled with heat in the winter and AC in the summer. That sock is a teary one.

We checked into all those stoves and ended up with a gas one that had fake logs and went on and off witha thermostat. It was just like a woodstove with out the work and it was very very cheap to run. The sales guy told us it was the least expensive to operate, it could cook you right out of the house.

Anonymous said...

April, do you have heat yet?! And are you reading this? If no heat and are reading this I will try and help, I'm a tech....an Anonymous Angel sent to try and help, lol, xcept I can't come over. What happens when you turn on your thermostat? Anything at, anything small or nothing at all? And what type of furnace do you have gas or electric? You would be amazed! It might be some small reset switch that needs kicked. No one should have to wait several days for an hvac tech, kick him for me, thanks!

Sharon said...

Did Clay skip that class on HVAC? I know it always put me to sleep. ;)

I guess you could pretend you are pioneers and make some fun videos. Are don't the cameras work at such low temps?

Rechelle said...

Honey - why don't you just come on over to your big sister's house. She will take care of you.

Anonymous said...

I was driving last night and the song "Emanuel" came on (Michael W. Smith), and I started crying so hard I could barely see. My 9-yr-old daughter thought she was going to have to take the wheel. I can't even listen to the beginning of the song you posted without losing it. I am a crying fool when I hear songs that touch me.

Erica said...

I love that song. I can't help but cry every time I hear it. I think I cry harder now that I'm a mom.

Jenni said...

Okay, first things first. How could you DO that? How could you link that song and not say what it was? Good thing I read the title when I clicked over and could click away before it began playing. That is the WORST song ever! And it still makes me cry like a baby, which makes it even worse! Ugh! Blech!

Yes, I think Auntie gets a special Christmas card this year. Do you know how many things in our family I just bite my tongue at? Do you know?!? I still have not told tattoo boy about his misspelled tattoo. I *so* want to ask him "Your next *what*?" God forbid he should ever wind up in prison because either way you take it, he'd be in deep trouble. And am I going to say anything about the card I just received with our four sweet nieces (ages 11, 9, 7, and 5) at some princess party place wearing GOBS of makeup? No, I am not, regardless of all the horrid things it makes me think of. Perhaps I would if I thought their mom was leaning too heavily toward crazed pageant mom, but I don't think that's the case. Gosh I'd love to get some funny family photos! Even when you get one you don't care for, you just keep quiet and be thankful someone cared enough to send a card.

I sure hope that heat is on by now, but if it's not, just relish all that family togetherness time:o) Maybe you can all huddle together under the covers and read The Long Winter. Or maybe not. That book made it seem more cold and depressing when we read it in a heated living room last winter.

Stephanie in Idaho said...

April, I was wondering the same thing that Rechelle offered....

Hope you get warm, too! Buy the pocket hand warmers so at least your fingertips stay warm... They are a lifesaver!

Unknown said...

April,
I hope you have some heat by now and your furnace guy will not be getting a pile of coal in his stocking.
Otherwise, you are much more tolerant than I would be. I would either be taking up the sister's invitation or high tailing it over to a Holiday Inn Express for a warm night's sleep.
Merry Christmas!

Trisha said...

Merry Christmas! I hope it holds heat for your family! God Bless!

jean said...

please tell me you got the heat on?