Monday, February 23, 2009

Watering the Cows

While my neighbor, Ramone, is in the hospital I've been watering his cows. I think I am now officially a tiny bit of a farmer because I had to break the ice in the tanks. Not only did I have to break the ice, but I had to do it with a bent piece of pipe that I assumed was used for breaking ice purposes........until I saw the axe setting by Ramone's porch.


What I'm trying to make you understand is that I got up early in the morning, braved the frigid cold and watered the cows. Now, it wasn't so cold that I had to light a fire in the barrel to thaw the hydrant like Ramone does, and to that I say, THANK YOU GOD! But, still I was beating the heck out of that ice and was yelling to the cows DON'T WORRY YOU WON'T DIE OF THIRST.....NOT ON MY WATCH....I'LL BREAK THIS ICE IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO.....I'LL SAVE YOU ALL.....I'M A FARMER.....I'M A FARMER... I.....AM...A...Far...is that an axe over there? What the heck?

I must admit that the cows were a bit afraid to come get a drink until after I went back to my house.

Oh! I almost forgot......



I took a picture of my new haircut while I was watering the cows. I know! It's great, right? You love it? I KNOW!!!!



And look! My new glasses! Am I annoying? Do you want to punch me in the face?
Please don't hurt me....please. I'm a farmer and I wear glasses.

20 comments:

Jennifer said...

OOOOOOOOOO! am i really the first one! yippee! i can relate to your post. i'm kinda, sorta a farmer too, and i wear glasses. and real farmer rubber boots. wow!

Danielle said...

not annoying. a little demented with some crazy thrown in but not at all annoying.

word verification: ferfishly

We went fishing at the lake but ended up eating hot dogs for dinner because the trip wasn't in the least bit ferfishly.

Becky Meyers said...

i love you april!! and i miss you tons!! you still make me laugh histarically!!

Jenni said...

Either it's colder up your way today or you didn't wait as long as I did to get out and take care of the animals. The horses have an automatic waterer thingy that doesn't freeze. The dogs and goat have a tank like the one in your pic. By the time I finished feeding the horses and scraping the manure out of the stalls and off the area near the barn, there was just a thin sheet of ice on the water tank and I only had to nudge it a little. When it's really bad, I use a sledge hammer. Why not an ax? Because that's not what Danny gave me to use. Maybe he was worried about the kids chopping off a body part when it's their turn to feed the animals, I don't know.

Great haircut, btw! Does it work for warm weather, too?

Unknown said...

you're funny

Andi said...

April, I swear you tease us with the hair and glasses drama just to keep us coming back in the hopes that we'll catch a glimpse of hair and glasses....Like PW and her stupid love story (which I love) Just have your kiddos take a real pic with real hair and glasses already!!!!!!

Lisa said...

YOUR SUCH A WEIRDO!!! CAN WE BE FRIENDS!

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Linda said...

I just wonder what the cows think when they see you coming!

Kim said...

Do you find your glasses fog over when you go from the warm house to the cold air and vice versa? I've never watered cows, but that still happens to me every morning so that I'm working on a new invention that will be like tiny windshield wipers for glasses. But don't tell anyone.

Anonymous said...

aren't you glad cows can't gossip to humans? They might be telling blonde jokes. Like how does a blonde chop ice?
Lydia

Unknown said...

Welcome to the Redneck club. You are truly one of a kind.
Did the two tractors crash together in the background or are they lovers?

Gladys said...

Those cows are darned lucky to have you out there breaking the ice. How is Ramone?

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

That hat and hair cut just SCREAM sex kitten.... *snort* You want more kids right? Where that to bed baby!!! LOL I did the 'fork' thingy you mentioned and I bleed like a stuck hog!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Rhea said...

My word verification today is fultered. I'm contemplating what that means. Totally distracted me from the comment I was going to leave...

FranP said...

oh, it must be bad, it must be very bad. Poor April!

Elizabeth said...

I love the haircut and the glasses. But mostly, I love the nostril shot.

Dea Burmingham said...

I LOVE your new haircut... I want my hair to look like that!

grandmamargie said...

You're a good neighbor to Ramone. How is he?

Trisha said...

Good for you! Those cows are lucky you are on water duty!

The haircut and glasses - stunning. Just stunning!